Monday, November 17, 2008

Adrenaline rush

Hey all,

Hope you are all doing fine! Thought I would let you know all about what i'm doing right now! Lots of things have happened this week, and I really don't know where to start!

I only have 10 mission remaining on the Piper Archer - then I get an upgrade to the Diamond 40, which is a much more modern plane!

Yesterday I went to Lake Havasu alone, which, to give you an idea, is the same distance from Malta to Reggio Calabria, or from Malta to Tunis. I really had fun going there, it took me about 1 hour since I had a pretty strong tailwind. The approach was quite nice as you pass over a lake and fly an approach near the riverside. I landed and had 3 cookies a hot chocolate and a diet coke at the FBO there (which is kind of a pilot lounge) This FBO looks really nice and posh - it even had perfume in the toilet and a big screen with sleeping rooms adjacent - very nice. All was relax until I departed. As soon as I departed I looked at the watch and realised I was running late - the sun was already going close to the horizon and I still had to land at another airport (Prescott) and return to Falcon Field before sunset. To make things worse, I had a headwind going back which means that the distance covered on the ground is less - I was really worried I would not make it in time before dark. And believe me, flying in the mountains in the dark with one of these planes is the one of the least things you wanna do in your life.

Full throttle all the way I managed to land in Prescott and get my signature and make it back just as the sun was setting down! I was so relieved to make it - now it goes down in one of the adventures to tell my grandkids. At one time I went between two mountains of 8000 feet each through a 2000 foot gap - phew the adrenaline was rushing!

Talking about pressure, my blood pressure was quite on the high side this week when I tried to cook beef stew. I found a recipe on the internet - ULTIMATE BEEF STEW - it seemed good so I decided to buy the ingredients and try it. It looked good until I did one small tiny mistake. The recipe said add 1 and 1/2 cups of beef broth. I thought that beef broth was actually the powder of beef broth so instead of throwing in the stew 1 and 1/2 cup of diluted watery beef broth, I threw a whole container of beef cube (cube tal-pakket kif jejd il-malti) - let's say the outcome was a bit...salty.

Anyway I posted a few pics of my cross countries on picasa. I am missing all of u friends, family and obviously d-dottoressa.... La nigi is-sajf li gej parties biss gejjin - ( u taf int namel flight lemm u law) :p

Narakom nies,

Kris

2 comments:

beta-j said...

errr..beef stew mhux iktar tghollilek il pressjoni jew?

Flying Johnny said...

Typical Kris :-p

1) If you have a tailwind outbound... most probably it's a headwind inbound :-p

2) Kris in the kitchen... no comment :-p

"La nigi is-sajf li gej parties biss gejjin - ( u taf int namel flight lemm u law) :p" - can't wait for it!!

See you soon buddy!!